Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Moving to a Different Town Than My Parents For the First Time

Our living room. I LOVE our little home. Mainly because of the big windows, but I also love it for so many other reasons.
 Maybe it's because the only other thing I know is a basement suite ;) 

Today I realized that things have been going really well lately. I'm really happy with life right now.

I was so scared to move away and leave my family. I was excited to be closer to Matt's family and for the adventure, but I was also scared. There were so many unknowns, and unknowns have a way of causing fear. Because the possibility of moving was on my mind so much before the decision was made, I prayed about it a lot. I would always make myself pray that we would live wherever was best for our family. I tried leaving it up to God, instead of just praying that I could stay where I was
comfortable, and where I could see my family whenever I wanted (as you may have noticed, I really love seeing my family), and I didn't have to leave all my friends, and I didn't have the worst-case-scenario possibilities. I would make myself pray that we would live wherever God knew would be best, and I tried to trust him (tried being the key word there).

Well, it was all kind of taken out of my hands, but I know that we moved here because it was what God knew was best for our family. Even if parts of it were (and are) hard, it is best, and I know that.

I think a lot of my current happiness actually has to do with having Rose in my life. She brings me way more joy than I thought a baby could, and she gave me a life purpose that I feel so passionately about, and I just love her so much!!!! 

Also, it is invaluable having Matt as my partner no matter where we live or what we do. I didn't have to move alone, I get my best friend coming along with me.

Moving has been so much easier than I expected it to be. The beginning was hard, I had a few really good cries because I missed my family so much and was homesick. Also, I didn't know what to expect. I didn't know how much I would see them while living here. Turns out I still see them a lot.

The other day I felt sad because I feel like I will lose good friends I have in Edmonton, or at least see those friends a lot less. I know I won't lose the very close friendships I have, but it's tough being so far away from those close friends. All in all, though, it's been so much easier and better than I thought it would be.

I think that it has been a fairly easy transition because Matt's family (who live here) are amazing and I really love being near them, because my family visits a lot, because I can visit Edmonton quite a bit, and because none of my worst case scenarios were realities (surprise surprise). 

In fact, I might (and this is hard for me to admit) go so far as to say this move was good for me. I think God knew that I needed this. For independence, and solidifying our little family of three, to show myself I can handle things like this, and many more reasons. I also really care about what is best for Matt job wise, hence praying for the place that was best for our family (Rose would be fine anywhere). 

I already have some good friendships here, and some more that are forming. It's funny how when you have enough friends, you don't open yourself up to new friendships near as much. It's when you need friends that you are so much more likely to create new friendships, think of all the great people we close ourselves off to because we are comfortable with our current friends. It's why I think my favourite way to travel (before I was married) was alone. When you travel alone you are so open to creating friendships, you don't have anyone "comfortable" to fall back on, so you push yourself and beautiful things can come of it.

I don't know, I guess for the millionth time I didn't actually know what was best for me, and God did. 

3 comments:

  1. Haha I love the last line. Why is that so hard for us to really believe, hey?

    ReplyDelete