Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Why I Like Using Cloth Diapers


My very first impression of cloth diapering was a picture I saw of my sister as a baby with a huge cloth diaper on, and memories of my Mom washing poop out of diapers in the toilet. I think that those memories stuck because I was slightly traumatized by the grossness of it.

The opinion I had on cloth diapers when I first got pregnant was that they seemed like a lot of unnecessary work for already over-worked moms, and I didn't think they would work as well as disposables anyway.

Then somehow the words "save money" came up in relation to cloth diapers, and my mind opened up a little bit to the idea. I started doing some research, and the more I found out about it, the more I wanted to cloth diaper. I had a lot of time on my hands when I was pregnant, so I did a lot of research. I scoured the internet, read way too many posts on a cloth diapering facebook group I joined, and asked the people I knew who used cloth diapers what they liked and disliked about them. Since the people I was asking are currently cloth diapering, naturally they had mainly positive things to say. 


In the end, I decided I wanted to use them, and I'm not an expert or a purist (I still use disposables when I go out sometimes and for overnight), but here is why I like using cloth diapers and why they work well for me.

The first time I put a cloth diaper on Rose!
It saves money.

To be honest with you, this is the reason I decided to cloth diaper. The other reasons for cloth diapering were bonuses for me. I don't think they would have been enough motivation for me to take the plunge.

I was originally surprised by how expensive cloth diapers were, but after doing a bit of research into how much parents spend on disposables on average in the first 2 years of a child's life, I felt completely reassured that I would save money. Especially because I bought all my cloth diapers used through a facebook buy and sell group, and I know when I am done with them I will be able to sell them again for close to what I paid for them (depending on how much I wear them out).

Also, if I use them for a second child, I will have almost no cost when it comes to diapers (excluding money spent on water, electricity, and detergent which I don't think is significant, and the small amount I spend on disposables for outings and night time) for that baby. So if I use them for at least two kids, I will have saved a lot, and if I use them for one kid, they will still be in very good condition and I can sell them for almost the same amount I paid for them. So really, I was guaranteed to save a lot of money.

I don't find the downsides to be that bad.

I think that the two biggest deterrents for cloth diapering are the extra work, and the original cost. 

As far as the original cost went, this wasn't a problem for me because I knew how much I would be saving in the long run. 

The extra work comes mainly in the form of extra laundry. I chose to go with pocket diapers, so not only do I have to do a load of cloth diapers every few days, but I also have to fold the inserts and put them into the pocket of the diaper. And weirdly enough, I enjoy it. I find "stuffing" my diapers strangely therapeutic. I am someone who always likes to be doing something, and it gives me something mindless to do while I watch TV with my husband or while he is working on his laptop in the living room and I just want to hang out with him. 

I know that this is not the experience of most moms (and I only have one kid so this could very well change!), but I don't mind doing laundry. I hate washing dishes and I procrastinate on vacuuming way longer than I should, but laundry is one household chore that I really don't mind (I wish I could be like this with every other domestic task!). So the added laundry didn't sound bad too me.

There is also extra work in the fact that you have to change the diapers more often (every few hours or so, depending on your kid and how much you've "stuffed" your diapers with) because they can't hold as much pee as disposables. I personally don't find this much of an inconvenience.

I think that the matter of disposing of the poop once the babies start solids (poop of exclusively breastfed babies is completely water soluble so you don't have to do anything with it, you just throw the diaper in the wash) is probably a big one for most people. I haven't been dealing with poop long and I do have to say I preferred the first 6 months when I never had to worry about the poop, but I haven't found this too bad so far. It's a little gross and a little inconvenient, but really not that bad.

They contain the blow-outs!

My baby may be more prone to poop blow-outs than others, but I think this is a common experience for all parents, specifically with exclusively-breast-fed poop. For us, Rose has blow-outs so so often when she wears disposables. It goes up her back, or down her leg, or all over the person holding her (that person was my sister on 3 different occasions). This has yet to happen in a cloth diaper. My guess is that this has to do with the way they absorb the liquidy poop. So I really like that. 

They are colourful and pretty.

I know this is not the most practical of reasons, but it's the truth! They are super cute on those adorable leetle bums, and the appreciator of pretty things in me is so happy about the beautiful colours and designs. 

They are better for the environment there are no chemicals touching baby's bum.

I think these are super great perks of cloth diapering!

As far as the environment goes, there are a plethora of articles detailing this if you google it. So that's nice.  

When it comes to the chemicals touching baby's bum, well, I still use disposables sometimes so I don't even experience this perk 100%, but again, it's something I feel good about! If you're interested in reading more about this, here is an article!

I don't think cloth diapering is for everyone, but I personally really like it and am so happy I decided to try it out.

For the logistics of how I actually do cloth diapering:


and


To pin this post on pintererest, scroll over the photo and click save:


No comments:

Post a Comment